Monday, February 16, 2009

Old BEP

It was the summer of 1998 and I was watching the newer version of Yo! MTV Raps one Friday night simply called Yo!. I remember this vividly because every video being played were by pretty shitty artists, with the exception of some. This group was one of those exceptions and I was blown away. From the lyrics to the jazzy beats to the dancing, the Black Eyed Peas opened my eyes to what hip hop should be. This was way before Youtube and DVR so I had to wait a whole week and sit through all these wack ass videos to see if Joints and Jams would be played again so I could record it. I bought their first album entitled Behind the Front and played the hell out of it. I got a chance to see them in 1999 at the Spring Broke Concert Fest at Kualoa Ranch. The line up also included The Pharcyde (minus FatLip), De La Soul, and Yellow Man. BEP was even better live and put on one of the best performances I had ever seen. I saw them two more times after that at World Cafe and Kapono's. Fast forward 11 years since their debut and I can't stand them. I'm not trying to be a hater, it's just my personal opinion. They are still great performers and I do respect Will.i.am as a musician, but I don't care for their music now. All I know is that Behind the Front and even Bridging the Gap are their better albums. Enough blabbering already....watch the vid!

2 comments:

  1. i remember that free show they put on at the "groove" before fergie sucked all there cocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur Fergie did suck. Ever since she jumped on there music fell off. Like most bands the old stuff will always be better. With Fergie they did get more playtime but they just seemed to go more commercial pop. Agree to disagree. Good discussion Talon.

    ReplyDelete